Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Welcome to Adulting. Sorry, no refunds.

Current state of mind:


Not to bore anyone with details, though, if you're reading a blog about diabetes perhaps details don't bore you, but since my last blog I have been "in the process" of getting a new pump. I'll wait while you check the date on my last blog. For those of you who wouldn't bother to do that, it was in October.

OCTOBER.

Much has happened since then. And, as Inigo Montoya once said,


My husband and I spent most of last year fostering a child that we had initially planned to adopt. That did not work out and in November the child was moved into another foster home. We also permanently closed our foster care licence because we are sure of what our family unit consists of now: us, our son, and our pup Rosabel.

In December my Dad fell, broke his leg, and has since been in and out of care dealing with issues stemming from this. It has been incredibly hard on my Mom and I feel guilty for not being more help to her.

In January my hubby had neck surgery and he is still recovering from this ongoing ordeal.

Throughout all of this, Rosabel has become increasingly less mobile because of her knee issues, and pretty soon we'll have to start researching wheelchairs for her with purchasing in mind.

Our son has restarted behavioral therapy because while he is a brilliant and loving child, his favorite word is no, he has his sensory issues, and he has got to learn how to listen before my patience is used up and all words come out as screams.

Interspersed between all of this I have been receiving bits and pieces of "new pump" materials.

  • Waaay back in August, at least, Medtronic started to call me about getting a new pump because the warranty on the one that I am (still) using expired.
  • At some point I told them to ahead and submit it to insurance- provided they understood I was only okay with this as long as it was 100% covered. So far I haven't gotten a bill.
  • A new glucometer arrived first, because the ones I have don't "speak" with the new pump. Got this at some point in December, I think.
  • The actual new pump arrived- definitely in December, because we were out of town and even though it was supposed to be signed for the UPS driver just left it in front of my house. This has been sitting unopened in my bathroom linen cupboard since it arrived.
  • Less than two weeks ago I got the transmitter for the CGM. I think it was actually last Monday that I picked it up from the UPS store. It looks exactly like the old one with the exception that it has a little "G" on it.
I should probably add in here that somewhere toward the beginning of this I was told that all of the supplies for this amazing new pump that was completely covered by my insurance are coming from Puerto Rico, so there might be a delay in getting them because when this all started they'd just been hit with a hurricane, the fallout from which they are still suffering. At the time, though, it was estimated I'd be up and running by January, February at the latest.


 
So today I called Medtronic to see what was going on. After four attempts and being hung up on twice, I finally reached what my grandfather would have referred to as "a real live person" and after a few minutes of explanation I asked, "When are the sensors going to be available?"

"Oh, they're available now. We just don't have an order for you."

"...Can I put them on order?"

I have a person who is supposed to be in charge of my account, setting up training, and yadda yadda. I didn't ask for how long the sensors have been available, because it may have upset me even more. Regardless, they are now in processing- not exactly on order, because they have yet to be run through my insurance, and I'm guessing they still need to contact my doctor to have a prescription written for them since they asked for the office contact information. So we'll see when/if they arrive, and whether or not they will actually be covered by my insurance.

Frankly, I haven't been doing a stellar job of taking care of myself, and I could be doing better but I've been using all the drama in my life as a crutch as to why I haven't been. I've also been using that as a crutch as to why I haven't been following through with the physical therapy I'm supposed to be in for the arm pain I've been having for almost a year now (it's not shoulder pain, but I am definitely feeling it in the muscle below my shoulder. My range of motion has been limited of late.) I have a doctor's appointment in two weeks wherein I'm sure I'll get an earful, but I think the thing that is either going to really motivate me or have me throw my hands up in surrender is my next birthday. It's a big one and I'm not one hundred percent sure how I got here so fast. It just feels like yesterday that I was listening to Alanis on the radio and deciding which classes I was going to take my first semester in college. Where the heck did my 20's and 30's go?

Is it? Or is it a coincidence? I don't know anymore.

1 comment: