Sunday, March 15, 2015

Of boogers, babys and blood-tests

Yeah, it's been a while. We have a one year old living with us. Are you really surprised?

If I'm honest, thinking about diabetes has been the absolute last thing I've been doing. Do we have enough diapers? How are we on wipes? When do we start giving the baby solid foods? Does that outfit come in another size, because kids grow so fast this one won't fit in two months?

And Bandit...man, is that dog whiney. He's old, he's diabetic, and he cries more than the baby does. Poor thing is driving me and my husband nuts, but what else can we do but deal with it? He's our baby, too. At least he's put some weight back on and is a trooper about the shots. Of course he's on the expensive Blue Buffalo food now, so that means Shiva and Rosabel are too...which means if anyone wants to Petco gift card me for my birthday, I'm for it.

Needless to say between the baby sometimes waking up at night, the dog definitely waking up at night, and my pump CGM going off several times a night sleep has become that friend who keeps telling me he's going to come by and see me but never does. On the other hand, I've grown closer to my buddy coffee the past few weeks. Some days I feel like chorus to a Jackson Browne song.

Yup. Running on Empty.


The short rundown of the last couple months, diabetes wise anyway, is that I've been using the generic insulin instead of the name brand and seen no real discernible difference. I've also started using the Bayer Contour Next blood glucose testing machine instead of the One Touch. Both changes are because of my insurance, if you'll remember, and I was pretty pissed off. Now? I don't really care.

Name brand no more.
 
Fact is I just don't have time to care. Diapers, feedings (both of the canine and baby persuasions), work...I'm busy! And because baby is a foster, we also have to add in birth parent visits, visits from his caseworker and visits from his lawyer. Seriously, the kid has a fuller schedule than I do. Even if the generic stuff wasn't working as well as the name brand I don't think I'd have to the time to protest the way I would have.
 
Fortunately, I really like the Contour. For one thing it has a color screen so it looks like something of this century. It's also faster than the One Touch was when it comes to reading my blood sugar, and it works just fine wirelessly with my pump. Also helps that I've been sent two free ones over the years, so I didn't have to buy one and I can have one to keep at home and one to take with me everywhere I go like I did the One Touch.
 
It has a USB....that means it's high tech.
 
I suppose someday when I have time I'll go in and set it up so that I can use my glucose testing device and computer together to track my blood sugars and see trends and stuff. The key words there are "when I have time" which in this case really means "desire to do it." I'm often doing dishes or laundry or diapers or a multi-tasking award worthy all three when I'm home, I can't do it at work, and when I do have a few minutes to myself I can think of SO many other things I'd like to do, like, oh...I don't know. Catch up on my blogging? It has actually taken over an hour to get up to this point between diaper changes and feedings and breakfast for me and the hubs, which he was kind enough to make for me, so when I do get a few minutes to myself it's actually really only a few minutes.
 
I know, excuses, excuses. How about this- I'd rather play Star Wars: The Old Republic with my husband for thirty minutes rather than putz around trying to figure out how to download software onto my laptop. At least it's honest!
 
Be careful out there today...it's the Ides, and we all know that means trouble!

 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment