Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Day 1 of the rest of my life...

So I've started a blog. Well, I've started another one. I used to have one I updated quite frequently on Musicfreedom.com before they were bought out, and I started each post with Day ___ (the ___ number of days I had been alive). Don't bother looking for it- this was before Facebook (was there a time before Facebook? Hrm.) It's unlikely any of my old posts survived, and even if they did it's certain they are not worth reading. Anyway...like I said at the beginning of this rambling paragraph- I've started a blog.

Why?

I thought perhaps I'd start one because everyone seems to have one. Hell, why not? I like to write, and this is kind of like being published...at least self published, which I actually am, blogs aside. But you really need a point of view to write a blog, don't you? Something that you can label and people can search on and all that lovely web 2.0 BS that people spew constantly. Which leads me to a new question.

What's my point of view?

I'm a librarian (for those of you much younger than me, a librarian is someone who works in a library, which is like a 3D version of the Internet that you can actually go inside of, like TRON or the Matrix, only without the drama). Specifically, I'm a children's librarian, which means I get to read books by Jon Scieszka and Mo Willems to anyone who will sit still long enough to listen to them, and often to those who won't sit still at all. But there are a lot of librarian blogs, some of them many years old, because librarians are cutting edge in spite of the bunhead stereotype we are plagued with on a daily basis.

I thought then maybe I could write about anime, since I used to run an anime review website for librarians, but there are lots of those too. I ran the gamut on my other interests, including Disney, pirates, movies in general, music (New Kids on the Block, pop music, and everything by Emanuel Kirakou especially), video games, books and reading, writing...and there's a blog for just about everything that is better than I could come up with given the time and effort I am willing to invest.

Well, then what am I going to blog about, given my sudden desire to do it? Perhaps asking questions isn't the way to go with this. Or, really, asking them of myself, since clearly that gets me nowhere.

The answer to my ill-advised questions appeared in the form of a blue eyed computer guy...namely, my husband, who is expert on most things Carla and usually right about everything (including things not regarding me). He said, "Write about having diabetes," or something along those lines. Well, there are blogs about that, too, but the difference is, I really know my ish when it comes to diabetes because I've been a diabetic since 1979. In fact, I started writing an autobiography about being diabetic a few years ago...which got nowhere because I can't really write an autobiography when I haven't done anything with my life. That's obnoxious even for me.

But a blog...well, that's an autobiographical kind of thing that's ongoing, so I can write as I go. And since I can't technically just write about diabetes, because that would be depressing as well as boring, some of that other stuff is going to get in there, too. And since I'm turning over a new leaf, no more numbering the days I've been here. We're starting over on Day 1.

So, if you're interested, here's a chance to learn what it's like to live with diabetes for 30+ years. I promise to be as honest as I can be, and not to hold back on the snark.

1 comment: