Monday, April 8, 2013

Getting Well Soon is Hard to Do

What the hell IS "well" anyway?

I think "well" is pulling on two pairs of sneakers (not a sneaker and a boot) and being able to go take my dogs for a walk, or getting on the stationary bike we bought and doing thirty minutes of aerobic cycling while I watch last Friday's episode of Blue Bloods. "Well" is having full use of my arms again and being able to make myself a cup of caffeine free coffee in a regular old coffee cup.  "Well" is not keeping my foot up on a trash can while I'm at work so my foot isn't swollen at the end of the day. "Well" is not having to choreograph getting in and out of the car, going to the bathroom, or pretty much everything requiring movement. I'm looking forward to being "well."

Right now I'm  just making it a day at a time and knowing that each day brings me that much closer to being healthy again...or as healthy as I can be. It's all relative.

"...from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint- it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey...stuff." --Not Albert Einstein, and it kind of got away from him anyway.
 

Fact of the matter is, though, that even once my foot is healed I'm not really "well" because I still have to choreograph food, and make sure that I have candy in my desk at work, and still have to count carbs and watch what I eat and keep changing insertion sets.  You know that moment when your brain suddenly pulls free of the fog of everyday blah and has this bright moment of clarity that suddenly gives you a new lease on life? It's like that, only in reverse. And once I made this realization I got a little pissed off because I've had it in my head that "well" is what I need to be striving for and like Sisyphus I'm never going to freaking get there.
 
So I'm not going to be "well" any time soon. What does that leave me? Better. I can work toward being better. So I'll do that, I guess.
 

 

So what the hell is "better?"

Well, "better" is no longer wanting to scream when I turn the wheel of my car because my arms hurt so much that I think I might need morphine. "Better" is being able to walk on my injured foot without crutches (but totally not doing that because I'm afraid I'll over do it and screw up the healing process.) "Better" is admitting that I HATE CRUTCHES and NEVER EVER WANT TO BE ON THEM AGAIN and being okay with that. So it looks like I am better.

On a lighter note, my husband stumbled across a Pintrest page that had me literally laughing so hard I almost needed to change my pants because it is ALL about Type 1 diabetes. I then got lost on that blasted site looking for all pictures related to Type 1 and found so many that I needed to make an album of my own: https://pinterest.com/bookdivalv/type-1-aint-type-2/
 
If you've never been on Pintrest before I warn you to set aside an hour or two because once you start over there you will be stuck for hours...I started this blog at 9 am and have been on Pintrest pretty much since then laughing my butt off... And you know what? Rob Paulsen is right-


                         "Laughter is the best medicine...you can't O.D. and the refills are free."
 


No comments:

Post a Comment