Thursday, July 4, 2013

It's been a long...long...time...

I may or may not have gotten a Bing Crosby song stuck in my head with that title. :)

So, it has been a long time since I've blogged, and that is because I have been busy as HELL. The month of June, while usually busy at work because of school being out and the kids all hanging at the library, has literally been C-R-A-Z-Y for lots of other reasons. The husband and I spent a week in Oregon with his family on the beach, and then we got home and I had two days before I left for a conference in Chicago. During this time I've been getting used to....my new pump! Yay!

I started off the first couple days using both the good old Dex meter and my new multifunctional pump in tandem, just to see how far off the mark the pump was since my doc wasn't too thrilled with the idea of me using it. While it isn't quite as accurate, it's better than nothing and not nearly as bad as I was led to believe.

Plus, it's smaller (new sensor on the left, old Dex on the right)!
 

 
After a couple days I figured I was comfortable enough with the new set up that I could retire the old one, and I packed it up and stored it away. I really like only having one device to hang on my belt on tuck in my pocket, and while it beeps at me almost incessantly, I'm pretty comfortable with my settings. It tells me when I miss a bolus, it tells me when I'm going high or low, and it tells me if I'm still high or low, which my Dex meter didn't do. (Dex also didn't remind me to bolus, which is something I need pretty badly.) It may not be as good as the Dex over all, but I think it certainly has benefits that I need.
 
Which leaves me with a several thousand dollar device that is just sitting around. I'm sure that many of you have piles of old cell phones and electronics just sitting in drawers and boxes around your house. I know we do! But in addition to old mp3 players and phones and cameras, I also have a pretty impressive glucometer collection just taking up space in my linen/ diabetes supply closet.
 
Museum quality.
 
 
Most of these are completely unusable because they don't even make blood glucose testing strips for them anymore. Some of them I got for free and have never even used- the Contour Next Link ones I've never even taken out of the boxes they came in. And the one in the bottom left hand corner was like the old Kodak Disc Cameras...ten strips in a disk that spun around, and I never could remember how many were left in the disk. (That one is also a Dex.) And this doesn't include the multitudes of glucometers I've had in the past that I haven't kept.
 
I've been sitting here for an hour trying to come up with an ending for this blog...and my husband suggested I end it the way "This Is the End" ended...but that would be a big spoiler and not everyone has seen it, so I went with something else....that might become a running thing, because I had fun on YouTube tonight. :)
 
 
R.I.P. Robert Culp and Steven J. Cannell
 
 

 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment