Monday, August 20, 2012

Good news everyone!



Good news, everyone!



After this last weekend's low blood sugar episode, I needed some good diabetic news. Fortunately I already had a doctor's appointment lined up for today. To say it went well would be something of an understatement.

Before I get to that, a little info for those of you who don't know what a Hemoglobin A1c test is. Hemoglobin A1c (HbA1c), basically, is a test done to determine the mean of the last three months' or so of blood glucose readings (and if you don't remember what a mean is think of it as an average. ) Most diabetics are encouraged to keep their HbA1c as close to 7 as possible, though many of the diabetics I've known over the years, myself included, have struggled to keep it down in the single digits. People without diabetes are usually at 6 or lower on the test score.


As in golf, the higher your score, the worse you are playing the game.


Today I got my results from the last three months. I've been dieting. I've been exercising. I've been monitoring my blood glucose/sugar levels closely- maybe even too closely, if you take my doctor's word for it.

Behold!


This may be a HIPPA violation...

For those of you not adept at reading blood work results, the results above are pretty darn good.  My HbA1c is in a normal range. My blood sugars, on average, are the same as a person without diabetes. As you can see, the numbers can move around. Earlier this year I was not exercising, I was very stressed out at work, and I was suffering from mild depression. A more positive outlook, more exercise, and a better diet have paid off. My doctor was very pleased. My husband is proud. And me?

I'm hoping in November that number will be closer to 5. 

4 comments: