Sunday, August 26, 2012

Back to School!

I was kind of a nerd in my youth. I really enjoyed school once I was challenged there and not bored out of my mind. (That's another blog.) I went to a year round elementary school, so the longest amount of time I had between grades was three weeks, as opposed to the traditional three months kids get now. I never minded though, because I really did love school. I loved the smell of new paper. I loved the new pens, the new pencils, the new erasers and backpacks and lunchboxes. I loved getting a new Trapper Keeper.

 
iPad? I don't need no stinkin' iPad.
 
Inevitably, I would end up in class with at least one of my friends, and my teacher would end up being pretty cool. We'd be assigned our text books, start working on our new spelling words, load our desks with our new stuff and life would be exciting and new. Of course, inevitably, I would also end up passed out on my desk at some point during that first week, too, and likely one or two more times before the end of the year.
 
Controlling diabetes is an art. Little things can make big differences in what your blood sugar is going to do. And being crazy excited over starting a new school year is not a little thing. My parents usually went down to the school and talked to my new teacher before the first day, so at least he or she wasn't totally unaware what was going on, but I can't imagine how scary it must be to have one of your students pass out on her desk before you're even sure of everyone's name. It wasn't a picnic for me, either. I'm not the most outgoing person in the world and passing out on your desk is not the best way to make a first impression on a room full of your peers.
 
As a kid I wasn't always aware that I was going low, either, so I'd be copying spelling words or doing math or something and then the next thing I knew I'd be coming to in the nurse's office while a class of Kindergartners marched past me with wide, inquisitive eyes on their way to art class. Dad worked nights and Mom didn't work at all, and we lived less than a minute from school, so one or both of them would be there, too. I probably had my parents show up at school more than any other kid, and I was a good student. You might even go so far as to call me a goody-goody.
 
 
Look at me, I'm...never mind. I wasn't that good!


In spite of the fact that I knew a massive low blood sugar was coming I always looked forward to the first day of school. I couldn't help it. It's a fresh start and a chance to learn new things and those are things that we don't always get with that kind of regularity as adults. Most kids don't appreciate that their youth is filled with promise and hope. When I was a kid, I thought for sure I wouldn't always have diabetes. Now I'm pretty sure that I always will. When I was a kid, anything was possible, and I could be a movie star-author-astronaut. Now I see limitations and struggle to think creatively around them.  The first day of school was always the first day of the rest of my life and the rest of my life was full of possibility.

Philosophy aside, it was also the people there that that made school fun. The office staff knew me by name. My teachers were all wonderful, from Kindergarten all the way through 5th grade. I loved my music teacher, my art teacher, and I will throw down with anyone who claims to have had a better P.E. teacher than I did. I credit the school librarian with instilling a love of libraries in me that (combined with a love of Reading Rainbow) set me on my career path. I was a very lucky child and I remember being on the playground one day in third grade and suddenly realizing this is as good as it's ever going to get. I'd better enjoy it now. I did.

So, here's a big, long overdue thank you to the staff and teachers who worked at Bill Y. Tomiyasu Elementary School during the six lovely years I spent as a student there. I'm sorry for freaking you out every time I passed out in class and I promise, it wasn't on purpose!


Go Dragons!

1 comment:

  1. Love how you write blogs. you always throw in unexpected giggles.

    ReplyDelete