Friday, August 10, 2012

You can quote me on this

I'm a "quote" person. I love when someone says something that can make me laugh, or make me nod, or make me think, and I especially like it when they aren't long winded like I am and can do it in one sentence. I particularly like Mark Twain quotes. The man was witty, which is like funny only smarter and not something many people can genuinely claim to be. Two of my favorites:

"You cannot reason with the heart; it thumps about things which the intellect scorns." (From A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court.)

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." (From Mark Twain, a Biography.)

I'm not exclusive about my quote collecting though. Anything witty or poignant, or amusing I'll jot down on a piece of paper and keep for later. I can recite some movies start to finish, and songs can often have some great quotes, too.

"A little slip up now and then is good for people." (Bing Crosby in High Society)

"The past is only the future with the lights on."  (+44, "Baby Come On")

"And maybe we dream to change the way that we feel, 'cause to dreamers the real world can be unreal." (From the musical Jean Seberg, "Dreamers")

I think my favorite quote is still one attributed to Mel Brooks. "Tragedy is when I cut my finger; comedy is when you fall into an open sewer, and die." I can hear him saying that in my head, and I'm not sure what that says about either of us. Still, we share a birthday, so I feel a certain amount of affinity for the man. Plus, Spaceballs.


One of the most quotable moves EVER. 

I bring quotes up because sometimes it's just a quick word or a maybe a few words that can make a day or break it. The right quote (and I'm loathe to use the word "motivational" but that's what I'm aiming for here) can bring me from a frustrated, why the hell can't I get my blood sugar under control day to a calm, I can get this day. And when dealing with something like diabetes, calm is good. And so is motivation. One of the quotes that I have pinned to the wall in my office which gives me the calm I need on those days when diabetes wants to be difficult with me is a famous Walk Disney quote-

It's kind of fun to do the impossible. ~ Walt Disney

He wasn't talking about diabetes, but I often feel like controlling this disease is impossible. And that can make for some pretty rough days, especially when I think to myself, I've had this for over thirty years. I should get it by now! It's easy to feel like controlling  my blood sugars is completely, ridiculously and in all other ways  impossible. But it helps to remember, like Julie Andrews sang in Roger and Hammerstein's Cinderella, that

"Impossible things are happening everyday."

1 comment: