Saturday, August 18, 2012

How to Scare the Sh*t Out of Your Husband In One Step

I almost died this morning.

I didn't, obviously, and it wasn't some sort of near-hit car accident or some real car accident where I miraculously walked away without a scratch. No, this had everything to do with my diabetes and an epic failure.

Epic. Failure.

*Bashhead*...for when even *doublefacepalm* isn't enough


Epic failure involves me so out of it that I apparently (because I don't remember doing it) did a blood test at 6:30 am and it was 36 and I went back to bed. Epic failure is me so out of it that I physically assaulted my alarm clock so vehemently that my husband heard it on the other side of the house but I still didn't get up (and might need a new alarm clock). Epic failure involves my husband coming in to the bedroom, telling me he loved me, and me not responding at all.

To say my blood sugar was low would be like saying the sky is up.

I was completely unresponsive and had zero control over my body. I couldn't sit up. I couldn't answer questions or even speak. I couldn't remember my dogs' names. My husband, who has dealt with this before and called the paramedics on me a time or two, knew what to do, but he's not too man to say he was scared. I was scared. Nothing is scarier than a low blood sugar like that.

No, not even this.


I cannot adequately describe what it is like to have a blood sugar so low that you have no control over your body. The closest I can come is to say it's a lot like being a sober person in a drunk person's body. I was consciously aware that something was very, very wrong, and I knew that my husband was concerned, but there was nothing I could do about it. It's one thing to be too drunk to remember your middle name, but it's another thing entirely to have your husband asking you if you remember it and screaming it out loud in your head...only to have him pour more orange juice down your throat because you just stared at him blankly and didn't say anything. I sat there thinking to myself that this might be the one that does me in, and I didn't even have the ability to tell my husband I love him. That is scary.

The thing is, I cannot remember for the life of me what I did differently last night that might have led to a low of these proportions. My husband checked my blood sugar several times, too, and even he said it wasn't that low (by the time he checked it at about 7:30 am it had gone up to 40 something.) Normally I wouldn't be a zombie unless it was significantly lower than that. So how do I make heads or tails of things and ensure this never happens again?

Sadly, I can't. All I can do is change my basal rate in the morning so I'm less likely to go low, make sure that I check it before bed and not depend on the continuous blood glucose testing device (which I've been told time and again not to do anyway), and hope that this will be enough.

Some of my best friends pitched in and got me Disney gift cards for my birthday, and while I was looking at the Disney Store website I saw this artwork. I thought it was cute (Donald is my favorite, after all) and showed it to my husband, who immediately smiled and said, "That's us."
It's now hanging on the wall in our house.



Tomorrow is another day, one I am grateful to have, and I'm not going to let today get to me. And I'm truly grateful I don't have to do it alone. Thanks honey.

1 comment:

  1. Oh wow, I am glad you are okay Carla. If this happened to Andrew I have no idea what I would do... but I hope I would be able to be as strong as your husband.

    ReplyDelete