Monday, October 1, 2012

The demons that keep me up at night

I had a really bad blood sugar day Thursday. I mean, it was BAD.

Sorry...I'm not much of a photographer.
 
This is my Dex meter. It's the continuous blood glucose testing system that I've got. The bottom, solid line means I'm LOW, really LOW, like below 40 low. The dotted line a little above it means my blood sugar is 80. The dotted line above that means 160. The top of the screen there is 400. I like to keep my blood sugar in between the dotted lines. This was a 12 hour view of my blood sugars. So from midnight the night before through noon on Thursday, I pretty much felt like crap.
 
Today has been much better, but after napping on the couch this afternoon with the AC cranked a little too high my throat is really sore and my head feels really stuffy. I was over whatever cold symptoms I had last month this weekend because there was no way I could have done this if I'd been sick:
 
Band was AWESOME. Venue was NOT.
 
Thursday was one of those days where I needed to keep reminding myself that being perfect isn't going to happen (or, rather, my husband needed to remind me). The frustrating thing is that a day like that usually takes a few days to get over blood sugar wise, but I carry the self loathing and failure longer. So basically, same stuff, different day.
 
Today I've been better about keeping track of my calories and I think this week I'll be getting back on the exercise bandwagon, but after this last month of sick and #fail I know my next doctor appointment isn't going to be as nice as the last, which irritates me. It also inspires me to make sure the next three weeks are better than the last three, so I can at least counteract things a little bit.
 
On blink-182's most recent album (Neighborhoods, it's awesome, go get it) there's a song called "Up All Night." The chorus goes like this-
 
Let me get this straight,
Do you want me here?
As I struggle through
Each and every year.
And all these demons,
They keep me up all night.
 
I know what demons keep me up all night.




No comments:

Post a Comment