Monday, September 30, 2013

To Boldly Go...Back to the Drawing Board

*sigh*

The CGM Saga continues. When we last met, our heroine was trying to objectively compare the two continuous glucose monitors at her disposal...

Today she wishes she'd never heard of either of them.

I went through three sensors and five needle pokes today to get one of those damn things inserted. It brought me to tears.- not because it hurt but because it was so frustrating. The hurt comes later. Have I shown you what happened last time it took me more than one merciful needle sticking to get one of these things working?

My tummy, ladies and gentlemen. I've seen UFC fighters in better shape.

Even if I had the body for it, I would never wear a bikini, that's for sure. The bruising and tissue damage is unreal considering I've been poking myself with a needle to insert my pump settings for eight years with no freaking problems. Same company, completely different technology.

Now, as my husband sweetly pointed out while he was consoling me this morning, CGM is kinda new. I'm on the cutting edge here, and they haven't worked out the issues that are sure to arise when technology is new. I mean, when cell phones were new there wasn't great coverage, calls were dropped all the time, and it was easy to break a phone if you dropped it- but that was over twenty years ago. Things are much improved today.

So what you're saying is I'm screwed.
 
I can't very well wait for the technology to get better, so I have to make do with what I've got to work with, but I am not sure how much longer I can emotionally take this. Since the new insurance kicked in we're thinking maybe now they'll cover the Dex company, though so far the only differences I've found in the coverage are that more things are not covered. Still, it can't hurt to call and find out, right? Maybe they'll not only cover it, but they'll cover the new Dex meter, which has a color screen. Ooooh. It's also smaller...which means I'd just lose it more but as long as it takes less sharp jabs to my tummy, I'll manage. We'll see how that goes. I've already dealt with one incredibly frustrating thing this morning, so maybe calling the insurance company should wait until later.
 
In the meantime, I will do my best to keep it together. My husband making amusing puns as he installs the new toilet helps ("I knew this project was going to tank" is my current favorite). And of course, I've got music. New Kids on the Block, Maroon 5, Bing and Frank....songs from my favorite musicals. Oh, and of course there's the classics.
 
 

2 comments:

  1. My favorite Muppets character was Beaker, and my favorite sketch was "Pigs In Space". As for needles, I had enough of that when I was getting chemo for Leukemia. I can't imagine having to deal with that ALL OF THE TIME!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could say you get used to it, but I'd be lying if I did!

      Delete